Along with so many leaders today, we make a commitment to doing our part to restore balance in our world.
We believe that many people and organizations are working to create new solutions to the social, financial and environmental challenges that are dramatically affecting our planet and our lives. There is growing interest from adults and young people alike to take important steps in resolving these issues and becoming wise stewards of our Earth’s resources. Together, we can make our world a loving and healthy place for ourselves and the next generations.
We are committed to protecting the planet and caring for people.
- We use an eco-design strategy in all our programs and services
- We reduce waste and buy green products whenever possible.
- To reduce global warming emissions, we recycle, re-use or reduce paper, plastic and glass.
- We are a virtual organization without use of a formal office building.
- We employ local people whenever possible.
- Any outside printing is done at printing shops that adhere to FSC-standards (www.fsc.org).
- We say no to plastic, by using cloth bags.
- We use compact fluorescent lights (CFLs).
- As we leave the office, we switch off all lights, heaters and equipment at the wall.
- We opt for washable, reusable food and drink containers.
- Our offices use eco-friendly insulation, bio-paints and passive solar heating.
- We use eco-friendly cleaning products and do not use air conditioning.
- We compost, plant trees and use native plants for landscape.
- When we travel, we use a carbon offset plan.
- To reduce air pollution and petrol use, we encourage phone meetings, carpooling, public transport and organizing multiple meetings in a day.
- We are actively involved in local community groups and sustainability organizations.
- We encourage our clients, alliances and providers to adopt sustainable practices.
- We find needy homes or charitable organizations for things we no longer need.
For more information about how to reduce your carbon emissions, visit UNEP, the United Nations Environment Programme.